Sunday, November 24, 2013

Our Beloved McGee

  

McGee left our family in the same manner he lived for 11 years: thinking about what would be best for us.  He went quickly, when we were all home, and left no decisions for us to make.

After a few days of acting strange including weight loss, excessive drinking, and audible breathing, I took him to the vet Friday morning to have his glucose tested (we suspected Diabetes).  An X-Ray taken because of the breathing showed a mass in his lung and we learned it was quite probably cancer.  He pulled so hard on the leash to get out of there, I almost couldn't hold him back.  We went home and I fed him a 4 oz chicken fried steak from our dinner the night before!  That was one of the best decisions I've ever made!

An hour later he had lost control of his bladder but wore a Pull-Up without complaint.  He was visibly excited to see Frank that evening but had no energy for the nightly face-licking routine.

Friday night was the first night he chose to sleep under our bed instead of in bed with us.  By the next morning, he'd lost control of his bowels, couldn't walk or eat, and vomited several times.  At 4:15pm, in his bed in the bathroom, surrounded by Frank, Lexi, and I, McGee took his last breath.

He is immensely loved and missed and will live in our hearts forever!

1 comment:

Melinda said...

I'm so sorry you guys are dealing with this loss. I know that McGee was an important part of your family, and I know that you will help the kids process this huge change, coming out of this stronger as a family. Let me know if there's anything we can do to support you through this. We love you and are sorry that you are sad!